Sometimes I fail hard when it comes to the things I make for The Boy and I. Exhibit A. But sometimes I win hard. Sometimes I wake up, craving a cookie, not wanting to leave my apartment, only to find that I have half the chocolate chips that I need, no butter, and the tinned caramel I’d been picking at with my finger (don’t lie, you’re jealous) was thrown out against my will the night before, so I can’t make salted caramel anything.
Enter: These cookies.
To date, they are The Boy’s favorite cookie. They have this beautiful sheen to them that I couldn’t capture on camera. They crinkle ever so delicately. When you pull them out of the oven, they almost sigh as they deflate. With some roughly chopped walnuts, chocolate, and a sprinkling of sea salt these have won the hard, hard heart of The Boy. Even after the pasta sauce incident.
These will be made again, I assure you. We spent the past day eating nearly the whole batch until we realized that we couldn’t have another meal made entirely of These Cookies. We eventually gave the rest away, yelling “Quick! Take them! We already ate two of them on the walk over!” Next time, I’ll try and salvage the caramel, drizzling some over the top the moment they’re out of the oven, and swinging some sea salt over the top. I called these Cupboard Clearout Cookies because they need no butter, no margarine, and can be filled with whatever mix-ins you have in your cupboard. I bet these would be amazing with pistachios, and dark chocolate chips. Or Coconut and Caramel. But keep the mix-ins solid, and under 1 1/2 cups. I’ll let you know what happens if I make jam thumbprints out of these if you’re wondering about an add-in that’s a little more viscous.
I need to one day, actually make the things that I think would be delicious.
When you bake these, be sure not to over bake them. They won’t “sigh” in the same way. They’ll end up crunchy right off the baking sheet. You’re looking for the cookie to be high in the center, and just barely set. Go ahead, tap it. Your finger will tell you if its set or not.
Recipe: Cupboard Clearout Chocolate Chip CookiesIngredients
- 1 cup oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or pour until you feel guilty)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling (optional)Instructions
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare baking sheets with parchment paper, or lightly oil baking sheet.
- Cream the oil and sugars together. They won’t look quite right, but beat until you’ve run out of patience.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well.
- Add baking soda, salt, and cornstarch. Combine well.
- Add flour and mix until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips and walnuts, stirring until just combined.
- Scoop one heaping tablespoon onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 8 to 9 minutes, until the tops are set.
- Sprinkle with coarse sea salt before removing from the pan. These cool quickly.